Frequently Asked Questions
Sierra Leone’s climate is tropical and relatively hot throughout the year, with maximum temperatures around 28/30°C (82/86°F) and minimum averages around 23/25°C (73/77°F) on the coast. Temperatures are usually a few degrees higher in the interior of the country, especially in the mountains.
Sierra Leone has two distinct seasons: the dry season, from November to April, and the dry season, from May to October, and torrential downpours are commonplace. December/February is also harmattan season, a hot wind blowing from the Sahara bringing haze and dry heat, with temperatures sometimes reaching 40°C (100°F).
Here are the addresses and contact details for the main Sierra Leone embassies in Europe and North America.
Sierra Leonean High Commission in London, United Kingdom & Ireland
41 Eagle Street, Holborn
London WC1R 4TL
Sierra Leonean Embassy in Berlin, Germany, also accredited to Austria & Italy
Telephone – (+49) 30 772 058 50
Fax – (+49) 30 772 058 52 9
Email – email@example.com
Website – www.slembassy-germany.org
Sierra Leonean Embassy in Washington, D.C., United States, also accredited to Canada & Brazil
1701, 19th Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20009
Telephone – (+1) 202 939 9261
Fax – (+1) 202 483 1793
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Website – www.embassyofsierraleone.net
In Freetown and other major cities there are hospitals, but medical services in remote parts of the country can be hard to come by. All visitors are recommended to have travel insurance.
Some of the major hospitals in Freetown are:
· Choithram Memorial Hospital, Hill Station, tel +232 76 980000
· Life Care Hospital, 198 Wilkinson Road, tel +232 80 220220
· Freetown International Hospital, 28b Lumley Beach Road, +232 33 400400
Exchange rates may vary, but at the time of writing $100 was approximately equivalent to NLE 2,050. The best place to exchange money is the airport, offering the most competitive exchange rates, but you’ll also find exchange offices around Freetown. Most large hotels will also offer exchange services, but rates may not be as good.
You can easily pick up a local SIM card at your arrival at Lungi Airport. Sellers will approach you offering SIM cards from various companies, and you can also pay them to add airtime. There are four mobile phone operators in Sierra Leone: Orange, Africell, Sierratel and QCell.
Most hotels offer laundry services.Most hotels offer laundry services.
- Visiting historic landmarks in Freetown and enjoying its vibrant nightlife
- Exploring beaches in the Freetown Peninsula and surfing, kayaking, scuba diving or simply relaxing
- Wildlife watching in protected areas such as Tiwai or Gola Rainforest
- Learning about colonial history in Bunce and Bonthe Islands
- Exploring the Banana Islands and Turtle Islands
- Seeing chimpanzees at Tacugama Chimpanzee Sanctuary
- Trekking to the summit of Mount Bintumani
- Ma Deng Beach Festival (December)
- Afro- Caribbean Festival (December/January)
- Monument and Relics Commission Citizenship Conference Ceremony/Tracing of DNA/Roots Tourism (April)
- Eco Fest Sierra Leone (December)